“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style” – Maya Angelou
I have had my fair share of school years (13 to be exact) and I have learned a lot throughout all of them, so I have put together 5 simple rules/reminders that have helped me/helping me when finding my way through school. This particular post is aimed at everyone because at one point or another we have all experienced school, so whether you here to read because you need to know or want to laugh about what it used to be like for you I hope you enjoy
1. Try to look presentable on the first day: I don’t care if you give up on the second day, hell I don’t care if you give up in the second hour, just do yourself up as best as possible for the first day. This is the first time people have seen you for 2 months or this could be the first time anyone has seen you, so be sure to put you best foot forward. Even though I have uniforms, I always do my hair a little nicer, take a bit more time on my eyeliner and take a moment to add some lip balm. First impressions matter as much as i hate to say it!
2. Stear clear of drama: I will remember this for as long as I live. Once in a while we get caught up in the wrong crowd or someone you thought was a great friend turned out to be someone that they weren’t but always pay attention the the red flags. Usually you can tell when someone is drama prone a) they usually create it b) the are attention seeking and c) they often talk down or bad to and about others. Also, don’t be afraid to take your time when deciding to bring someone into your circle of friends.
3. Be Yourself: I am all for acting but acting like someone your not is a different story. Playing someone else can be fun but also tiring, so when you enter your school have a smile on your face and play yourself because there is no one like you. Don’t try to change yourself to fit in because the people who like you for you, are the people you want to fit in with.
4. Stay put together (or at leaste fake it): I am not going to lie, my locker doesn’t look like it came out of the Staples catalogue but I always try to keep organized. You never want to be that one person that everyone thinks “wow, they are a disaster” as much as you shouldn’t care what other’s think, in this case maybe you should. Using and agenda, keeping your binder organized and making sure your desk is neat is just a couple of things you should do to be in order….or fake it, like me!
5. Don’t put to much on your plate: I have seen lots of people go down hill from biting off more then they can chew. My solution is know they way you work, for me id I have more then 3 big things to accomplish during the day then I will burn myself out. We often make commitments because we feel like we need to not because we want to, so before saying yes, take a step back and evaluate yourself and your week
Those are some basic tips to keep yourself together for the school year, they are simple but can be hard to maintain. I recommend you sit down and write a list of 10 goals you want to accomplish/ keep this school year and keep it where you can see it.