Grade 9 can be an exciting and fun year but it can also be stressful as there are tons of changes and new challenges. Since I have been there and done that, I thought I would share my wisdom on the subject of starting high school.
1. Don’t take up all the space in the hallway. Think of high school as an anarchy and as sad as it seems you are at the bottom of the totem pole. Grade 12’s get the center, then grade 11 (that is me) then grade 10’s and then there is you. Kids are bigger, louder and know there way around the school so stick the sides of the hallways. That’s is how you avoid getting caught in the whirlwind of a high school hallway.
2. Don’t sit at the very front of the class or the back. It’s best to sit in the middle that way you are kind of in the social section so that you can make friends easily but still stay focused.
3.Don’t stay quiet. You want to put yourself out there and try to make as much friends on the first day. If your a shy person then try to be talkative with the more outgoing people who start talking to you. Also make friends with both genders, it’s not grade 5 and everyone of the opposite gender has cooties. It’s good to make relationship’s with everyone.
4. Don’t be mean to your locker neighbor. Even if there older try to make a relationship with them. They can be very helpful when you need advice on classes, lost locker or navigating the school. If their in the same grade then you both can potentially help each other out.
5. Don’t sit alone at lunch. You want to try to sit with a person you met in your classes because they can introduce you to others.
6. Don’t avoid clubs and sports. if you are interested in doing something, DO IT! You will regret it if you don’t. Try out for everything because grade 9 is the time to figure out who you are and how can you do that if you don’t try things out.
7. Don’t ditch old friends from grade school. You have spent a long time with them and those relationships are still important. Although I only talk to 4 out of the 23 people I went to school with, I love being able to act more like a kid with them because they remember me during all my awkward stages, that is a special bond. Also, even though you may not talk to the rest of your class, it’s still nice to have people in the class you know so don’t be a jerk.
8. Don’t go to the first party. This is more of a tale of caution. The ugly truth is the first party is a breeding ground for older students, especially grade 10’s to hook up with grade 9’s. A lot of bad can happen here including a social shake up. It’s fun to party, don’t get me wrong but I would wait about 3 weeks till attending one, usually the obsession dies down by then.
9. Don’t act that your top dog. News flash! Your not! This will only put a target on you with not only your own grade but older students. An add on to this is that if you take the bus home 9 times out of 10 there is a bus anarchy as well so don’t get to comfortable in the seat you chose because chances are it belongs to someone else. Try making friends while you wait for the bus because it can take the pain out of riding to and from school.
10. Don’t be naïve. It’s high school and no one is babying you. There is going to be drug, alcohol and people having sex but it is up to you whether you want to be apart of it. Ask around and figure out were a lot of the people doing drugs are and try to avoid them. The key here is not the judge, there all different types of people in high school and that is what makes it so great. Even if someone participates in something you don’t like, doesn’t mean they are a bad person, still give them a chance and drop the hint that your not into that stuff. Nobody likes someone who passes judgment so keep and open mind and have fun.
Grade 9 is so fun and exciting so be yourself and enjoy it! I hope this was helpful and please let me know if you want more back to school tips and study ideas.